1.0 type Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor palm-sized XDCAM camcorder with XAVC 4K, Fast Hybrid AF, Instant HDR Workflow & 3G-SDI
The PXW-Z90 offers broadcast-quality 4K with advanced features such as high-speed auto focus, Instant HDR workflow, up to 960fps*/1000fps** super-slow motion and streaming via Wi-Fi.
Share the moment now with Simple Live Streaming
With the PXW-Z90, it’s easy to share high-quality video with your online audience in real time. Stream live footage directly to major online platforms with easy setup.*
*Free upgrade due for release in 2019.
Ultimate mobility with high-speed autofocus
The PXW-Z90 is palm-sized, ultra-lightweight to shoot in any situation, and its advanced Fast Hybrid AF system is designed to provide pin-sharp image quality at all times with complete creative control.
First professional palm camcorder with 4K HDR
The PXW-Z90 is the first professional palm-sized camcorder to deliver stunning 4K High Dynamic Range (HDR) content with Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) file-based workflows. S-Log3 is also supported, enabling you to create beautiful imagery with a wide color gamut and color range.
*3840 x 2160 pixels. Connect this product to HDR (HLG) compatible TV via HDMI cable and turn to HDR (HLG) mode by TV when displaying 4K QFHD movies.
Stream directly to major online platforms
Live streaming instantly connects you with your audience, wherever you are. From weddings and live events to interviews and seminars — capture high-quality images and share them in real time on major online video platforms. Set up your own streaming channel with your smartphone or tablet, connect via Wi-Fi, and you’re ready to go.*
*Free upgrade due for release in 2019. Some functions may be restricted while streaming. Detailed information will be shared at the time of firmware release.
**Separate accessories (VMC-UAM2, CBK-NA1) are required for Ethernet connection.
Simple Live Solution for Multi-Camera
For more advanced live streaming applications, the Z90 is easily connected to Sony’s compact MCX-500 Multi-Camera Live Producer via SDI or HDMI. The MCX-500 makes it easy for a single operator to run a multi-camera shoot, live streaming onto social media platforms with transitions, titling, picture-in-picture, Chroma key, and more. Tally and synchronized remote control functionality are also enabled with RM-30BP remote commander.
Revolutionary imaging performance with Exmor RS
To deliver imaging performance previously impossible for a compact camcorder, a large 14.2-megapixel (effective) 1.0-type stacked CMOS image sensor delivers beautiful background bokeh defocus effects and superior sensitivity for capturing high-quality images with less noise, even under dark or bright conditions. This sensor integrates up to 273 phase-detection AF points that densely cover approx. 84% of the image area, for precise tracking of subjects throughout the shooting frame. The sensor gives you low noise and less blur because more light reaches the sensor, offering clear and steady pictures even in a dark scene with minimum illumination 1.7 lux*.
*LOW LUX mode.
Enhanced Fast Hybrid auto focus captures action
Enhanced Fast Hybrid auto focus (AF) is comprised of a number of features: Phase-detection AF with up to 273 reference points covering approximately 84% of the image area, face detection and lock-on auto focus technology to estimate subject movement. They all work together seamlessly to capture fast-moving subjects with amazing sharpness.
Auto Focus Creative Control
AF Drive Speed means you set the speed at which focus switches — rapid for a sports event and slow for a drama production. It’s easy to get the results you need. AF Track Depth allows you to choose a Wide depth of field when a subject is fast moving, while Narrow fine tunes performance for a subject at a consistent distance. AF Switching Sensitivity lets you lock tight to a single subject or fluidly switch focus — such as when shooting a line of runners.
Instant HDR workflows
Shoot, edit, and view HDR content in HLG without the need for additional color grading.
As the expanding need for HDR content continues, Internet video platforms and professionals producing corporate or event content are paying more attention to the added value of HDR. They need to deliver content quickly, without compromising on imaging expression and quality of content. To meet this demand, the PXW-Z90 offers Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) recording, in addition to S-Log3, for easy file-based workflows, while achieving the image quality of HDR. This simple workflow enables the shooting, editing, and viewing of HDR content in HLG, without devoting a lot of time to post-production work and additional color grading.
Express your vision beyond realtime motion
High Frame Rate shots can turn everyday actions into slow motion ballet, and the PXW-Z90 delivers a stunning 120 frames* per second (fps) in Full HD XAVC 10bit 4:2:2, giving you continuous five-times slow motion expression. Higher frame rates** are also possible for even greater creative flexibility.
*50 Hz: 100fps. 60 Hz: 120fps
**50 Hz: 250, 500, 1000fps. 60 Hz: 240, 480, 960fps
Broadcast-quality 4K (QFHD) and HD
The PXW-Z90 allows you to record a wide range of 4K (QFHD) and HD formats for maximum flexibility from this stunning palm-sized camcorder. The Z90 supports XAVC QFHD 100 Mbps recordings at 30 p / 25 p / 24 p, XAVC HD Long GOP 422 50 Mbps, MPEGHD422 50 Mbps*, MPEGHD420 35 Mbps and AVCHD.
*MPEG HD recording requires optional license (CBKZ-SLMP) upgrade.
Networked for high mobility
The PXW-Z90 comes with 5 GHz* and 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi as standard – simply turn on and log onto your preferred network to enable a host of advanced wireless production features:
*5 GHz support dependent on country/regional regulation.
- QoS Streaming to XDCAM air allows images to be streamed live from the camcorder for viewing at a remote location
- FTP Transfer allows content files recorded with MPEG HD 422/420 proxy feature (CBKZ-SLMP required) and other content files shot in XAVC (QFHD/FHD) and AVCHD formats to be sent over the internet for remote storage on an FTP server
- XDCAM air can upload proxy footage to the cloud from multiple camera operators in the field, so editing can start immediately. Uploaded content can be accessed securely from any location. News teams can even start logging clips while shooting’s still going on, saving even more valuable time when a story’s breaking
- Wi-Fi/NFC (Near Field Communication) with Content Browser Mobile™ allows the PXW-Z90 to be remotely controlled from a smartphone or tablet computer (iOS 9.0 – 10.3 or Android 4.4 through 7.1) via a Wi-Fi connection. One-touch authentication is also possible with smartphones that offer NFC connectivity
- Wired LAN connection allows the PXW-Z90 to be connected to the internet over a wired connection via the separately available VMC-UAM2 USB adapter cable and network adapter kit (CBK-NA1), allowing files to be streamed or transferred by FTP
*The Content Browser Mobile™ application can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or App Store. Wi-Fi operation cannot be guaranteed with all smartphones and tablet computers.
Wide-angle zoom lens with great control
The PXW-Z90 is supplied with a fixed 29-mm wide-angle ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T lens, ideal for capturing panoramic landscapes. The 12x optical zoom can be increased to 18x with Clear Image Zoom, maintaining QFHD resolution using Super Resolution Technology or 24x in HD. In addition, the digital extender can double this range again, up to 48x zoom. The camcorder’s lens ring enables smooth, natural adjustment of focusing or zooming, depending on which mode is selected, while the manual dial and buttons on the side of the body allow swift and easy adjustment of IRIS (aperture), ISO/GAIN and shutter speed.
Superb quality monitoring with enhanced OLED viewfinder
You have superb monitoring options with the Z90, an enhanced 0.39-type 2359 K dot OLED viewfinder and 3.5-type 1550 K dot LCD. The super high-resolution OLED viewfinder offers excellent quality brightness, contrast and response, giving you better precision of manual focus operations and eliminating any color-breaking phenomenon. The LCD gives you further flexible composition options.
Dual XLR inputs
The Z90 has two XLR connectors – so even if you remove the handle with its standard, easy-access XLR connector then a second on the body is still available, making it ideal for applications such as shooting in a confined space, such as a car interior, or when mounting on a gimbal.
The PXW-Z90 has a featured remote interface (2.5 mm stereo mini-mini jack) wired interface. Using a wired remote controller such as the RM-1BP or RM-30BP: the focus, zoom, rec start/stop and rec review can be controlled remotely. The camcorder can connect to the optional RM-30BP and MCX-500 Multi Camera Live Producer to form a simple live solution.
Dual media slots
To extend recording time and workflow flexibility, the PXW-Z90 is equipped with two memory card slots and is compatible with SDXC and SDHC cards as well as Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2) / PRO-HG Duo*. Relay mode automatically switches recording from the first to the second memory card when the first is full; Simul mode allows simultaneous recording to two memory cards (for example to create an immediate back-up version). The PXW-Z90’s two start/stop buttons on the handle grip and camcorder body can independently start and stop recording on different memory cards while recording in Simul mode.
*Memory Card Slot 1 only.
Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
The PXW-Z90 takes advantage of Sony’s flexible Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe, which provides power, signal connections and coordinated on/off switching to compatible Sony accessories. For example, you can connect and control Sony UWP-D wireless microphone systems (sold separately). Please note that to use the MI-Shoe, the XLR handle must be removed.
Wide choice of connections
The PXW-Z90 offers numerous connections to suit the broadcast workflow, including 3G HD-SDI, HDMI®, Multi/Micro USB jack and composite output. The Rec Trigger signal can be sent through SDI and HDMI to link an external recording device. HDMI/SDI/composite output is possible during QFHD recording*.
*HDMI supports up QFHD resolution, 3G-SDI supports up to HD resolution. Composite is SD-only.
Easily synchronize multiple camcorders
When shooting with multiple camcorders, you can synchronize the timecode of each camcorder using Content Browser Mobile™ (CBM) smartphone application* with optional CBKZ-WTCL upgrade. With this feature, all camcorders can synchronize to the primary camcorder you select or to a manually set time – whichever you prefer.
*Version 3.0 Content Browser Mobile™ required, which is compatible with iOS 9.0 – 10.3 or Android 4.4 through 7.1.
- Approx 1020g (with lens hood, eyecup)
- Approx. 2 lb 4.0 oz (with lens hood,eyecup)
- Approx. 1390g (with lens hood, handle, eyecup, NP-FV70A battery)
- Approx. 3lb 1oz (with lens hood, handle, eyecup, NP-FV70A battery)
Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 121.0mm×104.0mm×274.5mm (With the accessories (lens hood, large eyecup) ,excluding the grip belt and including the projecting parts)
- 4 7/8 x 4 1/8 x 10 7/8 inches (With the accessories (lens hood, large eyecup) ,excluding the grip belt and including the projecting parts)
- 130.0 x 181.5 x 287.0 mm (With the accessories (lens hood, large eyecup, XLR handle unit) , excluding the grip belt and including the projecting parts)
- 5 1/8 x 7 1/4 x 11 3/8 inches (With the accessories (lens hood, large eyecup, XLR handle unit) , excluding the grip belt and including the projecting parts)
- DC In: 8.4V
- Battery: 7.4V
- Approx. 6.5 W(while recording with viewfinder and XAVC QFHD 2160/30p 60Mbps)
- Approx. 6.9 W (while recording with LCD and XAVC QFHD 2160/30p 60Mbps)
- 0°C to 40°C
- 32°F to 104°F
- -20°C to +60°C
- -4°F to +140°F
Battery Operating Time
- Approx. 140min. with NP-FV70A battery (while recording with LCD, XAVC QFHD 2160/30p, 60Mbps)
- Approx. 265 min. with NP-FV70A battery (while playing with LCD, XAVC QFHD 2160/30p, 60Mbps)
Recording Format (Video)
- XAVC QFHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile
- XAVC HD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:2 Long profile
- XAVC Proxy : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile
- MPEG HD422 (CBKZ-SLMP required) : MPEG-2 422P@HL 4:2:2 Long profile
- MPEG HD420 (CBKZ-SLMP required) : MPEG-2 MP@HL 4:2:0 Long profile
- MPEG HD Proxy (CBKZ-SLMP required) : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile
- AVCHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 AVCHD 2.0 format compatible
Recording Format (Audio)
- XAVC QFHD : Linear PCM 2ch, 24bit, 48kHz
- XAVC HD : Linear PCM 2ch, 24bit, 48kHz
- XAVC Proxy : AAC-LC 2ch、16bit、48kHz
- MPEG HD422 (CBKZ-SLMP required) : Linear PCM 2ch, 24bit, 48kHz
- MPEG HD420 (CBKZ-SLMP required) : Linear PCM 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz
- MPEG HD Proxy (CBKZ-SLMP required) : AAC-LC 2ch、16bit、48kHz
- AVCHD : Linear PCM 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz / Dolby Digital 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz
Recording Frame Rate
- XAVC QFHD (3840 x 2160) @29.97p, 25p, 23.98p 100Mbps/60Mbps
- XAVC HD (1920 x 1080) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 50Mbps/35Mbps
- XAVC HD (1920 x 1080) @59.94i, 50i, 50Mbps/35Mbps/25Mbps
- XAVC HD (1280 x 720) @59.94p, 50p, 50Mbps
- XAVC Proxy (1280 x 720) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 9Mbps
- XAVC Proxy (640 x 360) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 3Mbps
- MPEG HD422 (1920 x 1080) (CBKZ-SLMP required) @59.94i, 50i, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 50Mbps
- MPEG HD422 (1280 x 720) (CBKZ-SLMP required) @59.94p, 50p, 50Mbps
- MPEG HD420 (1920 x 1080) @59.94i, 50i, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, HQ mode(35Mbps)
- MPEG HD420 (1440 x 1080) (CBKZ-SLMP required) @59.94i, 50i, HQ mode(35Mbps)
Recording Frame Rate (Cont.)
- MPEG HD420 (1280 x 720) (CBKZ-SLMP required) @59.94p, 50p, HQ mode(35Mbps)
- MPEG HD Proxy (1280 x 720) (CBKZ-SLMP required) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 9Mbps
- MPEG HD Proxy (640 x 360) (CBKZ-SLMP required) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p 3Mbps
- AVCHD (1920 x 1080)@59.94p, 50p, PS mode (28Mbps)
- AVCHD (1920 x 1080) @59.94i/50i FX mode (24Mbps) FH mode(17Mbps)
- AVCHD (1920 x 1080) @29.97p/25p/23.98p, FX mode (24Mbps)
- AVCHD (1440 x 1080)@59.94i, 50i LP mode (5Mbps)
- AVCHD (1280 x 720)@59.94p, 50p, HQ mode (9Mbps)
- XAVC QFHD @LPCM 2ch 100 Mbps
- Approx. 65 min with 64 GB memory card
- XAVC QFHD @LPCM 2ch 60 Mbps
- Approx. 100 min with 64 GB memory card
- XAVC HD @LPCM 2ch 50 Mbps
- Approx. 120 min with 64 GB memory card
- XAVC HD @LPCM 2ch 35 Mbps
- Approx. 170 min with 64 GB memory card
- XAVC HD @LPCM 2ch 25 Mbps
- Approx. 220 min with 64 GB memory card
- MPEG HD422 (CBKZ-SLMP required) @LPCM 2ch 50 Mbps
- Approx. 110 min with 64 GB memory card
- MPEG HD420 (CBKZ-SLMP required) @LPCM 2ch HQ Mode
- Approx. 170 min with 64 GB memory card
- AVCHD @LPCM 2ch PS Mode
- Approx. 305 min with 64 GB memory card
- AVCHD @LPCM 2ch FX Mode
- Approx. 360 min with 64 GB memory card
Recording/Playback Time (cont.)
- AVCHD @LPCM 2ch FH Mode
- Approx. 495 min with 64 GB memory card
- AVCHD @LPCM 2ch HQ Mode
- Approx. 880 min with 64 GB memory card
- AVCHD @LPCM 2ch LP Mode
- Approx. 1540 min with 64 GB memory card
- 12x (optical), servo
- f=9.3 - 111.6mm
- equivalent to f=29.0 - 348.0mm on 35 mm lens(16:9)
- equivalent to f=32.8 - 393.6mm on 35mm lens(3:2)
- F2.8 - F4.5
- auto/manual selectable
- AF/MF selectable
- 10 mm to ∞ (Wide)
- 1000 mm to ∞ (Tele)
- ON/OFF selectable, shift lens
- M62 mm
Imaging Device (Type)
- 1.0-type (13.2mm x 8.8mm) back-illuminated Exmor RS CMOS sensor
Effective Picture Elements
- Approx.14.2M pixels(16:9)/Approx.12.0M pixels(3:2)
Built-in Optical Filters
- OFF: Clear, 1: 1/4ND, 2: 1/16ND, 3: 1/64ND
- Standard [60i] 3lux(1/60 Shutter Speed, gain 33dB)
- Standard [50i] 3lux(1/50 Shutter Speed, gain 33dB)
- LowLux [60i] 1.7lux(1/30 Shutter Speed, gain 33dB)
- LowLux [50i] 1.7lux(1/25 Shutter Speed, gain 33dB)
- [60i]: 1/8 - 1/10,000
- (1/6 - 1/10,000 when shooting with 24p)
- [50i]: 1/6 -1/10,000
Slow & Quick Motion Function
- [60i]:2160p:Frame rate selectable 1,2,4,8,15,30fps
- [50i]:2160p:Frame rate selectable 1,2,3,6,12,25fps
- [60i]:1080p:Frame rate selectable 1,2,4,8,15,30,60,120fps
- [50i]:1080p:Frame rate selectable 1,2,3,6,12,25,50,100fps
Super Slow Motion
- [60i]1080p:Frame rate selectable 240,480,960fps
- [50i]:1080p:Frame rate selectable 250,500,1000fps
- Preset（Indoor:3200K, Outdoor:5600K±7 steps, Color temparature set range:2300-15000K)
- Onepush A, B, Auto selectable
- -3, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12,15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33 dB, AGC
- XLR-type 3-pin (female) (x2), line/mic/mic +48 V selectable
- Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack（×1）, Composite 1.0Vp-p, 75Ω
- Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack
- BNC (x1), 3G/HD/SD
- SMPTE 424M/292M/259M standards
- Multi/Micro USB jack (x1)
- Stereo mini jack (x1)
- DC jack
- Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack
- Stereo mini-mini jack (Φ2.5mm)
- Type A (x1)
- 1.0cm（0.39 type）OLED
- Approx. 2.36M dots
- 8.8cm（3.5 type)
- Approx. 1.56M dots
- Omni-directional stereo electret condenser microphone
- Memory Stick Pro Duo™ and SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible x1 SD/SDHC/SDXC x1
- IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- 2.4 GHz bandwidth
- 5.2/5.3/5.6/5.8 GHz bandwidth
- NFC Forum Type 3 Tag compliant
- XLR handle unit (1)
- Lens hood (1)
- Lens cap (1)
- Large eyecup (1)
- Accessory shoe kit (1)
- USB cable (1)
- Rechargeable battery pack (NP-FV70A) (1)
- AC Adaptor (AC-L200D) (1)
- Power cord (mains lead) (1)
- Wireless Remote Commander (RMT-845) (1)
- Lithium battery (CR2025 for the Wireless Remote Commander) (1), Pre-installed to the Wireless Remote Commander
- Operating Guide (2)
- CD-ROM “Manuals for Solid-State Memory Camcorder” (1)
- Warranty (1)
- [60i]: when [60i/50i SEL] is set to 60i
- [50i]: when [60i/50i SEL] is set to 50i
Product contains pre-installed software
- This product contains pre-installed software and requires the purchase of license keys to activate some functions.