Compact handy camcorder delivers broadcast quality 4K and Full-HD
Ready for any shooting scenario, Sony’s PXW-Z150 handy professional camcorder delivers stunning 4K image quality, Instant HDR workflow, 120fps HFR Full-HD slow-motion and built-in advanced networking for live streaming and wireless workflow.
Breakthrough imaging performance
The Z150 is the world’s first professional camcorder to feature a 1.0 type stacked CMOS image sensor. This breakthrough in sensor integration delivers a 2x increase in read-out speed compared to a conventional 1.0 sensor for stunning 120fps slow motion in Full HD and spectacular 4K recording. Full pixel read-out helps realise the full potential of the big 1.0 type sensor – there’s no need for pixel binning or line skipping which can result in moiré effects.
The large 1.0 type sensor is also brighter, has higher resolution and offers more bokeh with a shallow depth of field, allowing you to create beautiful, cinematic images that will inspire you and delight your clients.
Stunning 4K HDR image capture
The Z150 offers a step-change in image capture in its class with 4K QFHD (3840×2160) using the advanced XAVC Long GOP 100Mbps codec for truly broadcast quality 4K performance. 4K High Dynamic Range (HDR) content is also supported with Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) file-based workflow for truly stunning imagery with a wide colour gamut and colour range.*
To maximise the quality of your images, the Z150 has a stunning optical 12x zoom lens that offers high resolution and contrast across the entirety of the image. Sony’s advanced Clear Image Zoom feature doubles magnification to 18x when shooting in 4K QFHD and 24x in HD, to fully exploit the imaging capabilities of the Z150’s large 1.0 type stacked sensor.
*V2.0 Firmware or higher required.
No compromises pro functionality
The Z150 transforms expectations of what’s possible with a handy camcorder so you can be confident using it for almost any application. This includes up to 120 frames per second (fps) High Frame Rate continuous recording in Full HD quality, delivering beautiful 5x slow motion. Stunning 4K picture performance is supported with 4K XAVC Long GOP at 100Mbps, while integration with established broadcast workflows is simplified with Full HD recording in XAVC Long GOP (4:2:2/10bit 50Mbps) and MPEG-2 HD (50Mbps/35Mbps). You can even use AVCHD to further expand workflow flexibility. However you want to shoot, the Z150 delivers.
The perfect handy camcorder
The Z150 isn’t simply a compact, lightweight design – it also integrates advanced features to reduce the need for bulky accessories that slow you down. A built-in four position ND filter means no need to carry a box of filters, MI Shoe eliminates cabling when fitting a microphone or even light. Advanced networking capabilities include built-in Wi-Fi for live streaming and FTP wireless connection*, greatly increasing your mobility, while the camcorder can also be easily controlled by a smartphone or tablet using Wi-Fi remote. Every last detail has been thought of – including power efficiency to deliver a remarkable 400 minutes** continuous recording time.
*QoS will be supported with a firmware update.
**Using optional NP-F970 battery while recording XAVC 1080/50i or 60i, 50 Mbps with LCD on.
Revolutionary imaging performance with Exmor RS
To deliver imaging performance previously impossible for a compact camcorder, Sony has developed the world’s first 1.0 type stacked CMOS image sensor for professional video applications. A 2x increase in read-out speed, compared to a conventional 1.0 type sensor, enables beautiful 5x slow motion image capture up to 120fps in Full HD and high resolution 4K recording with full pixel readout without binning.
The Z150’s single 20 megapixel* 1.0 type large size sensor gives you low noise and less blur because more light reaches the sensor, offering clear and steady pictures even in a dark scene with minimum illumination 1.7 lux**. The large sensor size also enables beautiful background defocusing (bokeh) to enable you to focus on what you want to show and defocus the rest of the image.
*14.2 million effective pixels.
**LOW LUX mode.
Instant HDR workflows
Shoot, edit and view HDR content in HLG without the need for additional colour grading.
As the expanding need for HDR content continues, internet video platforms and professionals producing corporate or event content are paying more attention to the added value of HDR. They need to deliver content quickly, without compromising on imaging expression and quality of content. To meet this demand, the PXW-Z90 offers Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) recording for easy file-based workflows, whilst achieving the image quality of HDR. This simple workflow enables the shooting, editing and viewing of HDR content in HLG, without devoting a lot of time to post-production work and additional colour grading.
V2.0 Firmware or higher required.
Flexible 4K and Full HD recordings
The Z150 is designed to provide true broadcast quality performance for both 4K and Full HD productions, recording with the advanced XAVC Long GOP 100Mbps codec for brilliant 4K QFHD imagery and flexible workflows. XAVC Long’s higher bit rate produces outstanding images with more details and less noise to create the number one 4K picture quality in its class. For even more flexibility in workflows, the Z150 is switchable between PAL and NTSC operation.
|Format||Colour space/bit rate||Max rate|
|4K||XAVC Long GOP||4:2:0/ 8bit||100 Mbps|
|HD||XAVC Long GOP||4:2:2/ 10bit||50 Mbps|
|HD||MPEG2||4:2:2/ 8bit||50 Mbps|
|HD||MPEG2||4:2:0/ 8bit||35 Mbps|
|HD||AVCHD||4:2:0/ 8bit||28 Mbps|
120fps continuous slow motion
High frame rate shots can turn everyday actions into slow motion ballet and the Z150 delivers up to 120 frames per second (fps) in Full HD, giving you a maximum of 5 times slow motion expression. There’s no sacrifice in bit depth and no ‘windowing’ of the sensor. So there’s no crop factor, no loss in angle of view.
Sony G lens with maximum 24x zoom
A high quality 29-348mm wide-angle lens with 12x optical zoom makes it easy to capture even the most expansive landscape scenes while also offering superb clarity and sharpness – maximising the performance of the Z150’s large 1.0 type sensor and providing high resolution and contrast from the centre to the edge of your image.
Getting close into even the most distant scenes is further enhanced by Sony’s advanced Clear Image Zoom feature. Once you’ve zoomed in at maximum 12x optical magnification, By Pixel Super Resolution Technology can enlarge the image to 18x in 4K QFHD or 24x in HD, while still preserving image quality.
Networked for high mobility
The Z150 has advanced networking capabilities that give you more mobility in your work – FTP files directly from the camcorder or live stream from any event using built-in Wi-Fi features with no accessories required. Sony’s unique QoS technology* dramatically improves the clarity that’s possible on a wireless connection, giving you better pictures even with the limitations of today’s real-world networks. You can also remotely control the PXW-Z150 with a smartphone or tablet, including the ability to adjust settings such as focus, zoom, iris, white balance, REC START/STOP and more using Sony’s Content Browser Mobile** software.
*QoS requires V2.0 or higher firmware.
**The Content Browser Mobile application can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or App Store.
High resolution monitoring
The Z150 gives you precise monitoring and low latency, however you choose to shoot, with its advanced, wide viewing-angle and high contrast 0.39 type 1440K dots OLED electronic viewfinder (EVF) with large eye-cap, and an easily adjustable, flip-out 3.5 type 1550K dots LCD panel.
Compact and lightweight body
The Z150 is ergonomically designed to provide a lightweight and easy-to-use shooting experience. Three manual, independent lens rings enable smooth, natural adjustment of focusing, zooming and iris control. The camcorder can also be used in full-auto mode or completely manual for maximum creative control.
Dual media slots for recording flexibility
To extend recording times and workflow flexibility, the Z150 is equipped with two memory card slots and is compatible with SDXC and SDHC cards.
RELAY mode automatically switches recording from the first to the second memory card when the first is full, while SIMUL mode permits simultaneous recording to two memory cards (for example to create an immediate back-up version).
Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
The Z150 takes advantage of Sony’s flexible Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe, which provides power, signal connections and coordinated on/off switching to compatible Sony accessories. For example, you can connect and control Sony wireless microphone systems such as the UWP-D11 or UWP-D12 or attach the HVL-LBPC light*.
*All sold separately. HVL-LBPC is controlled but not powered by Z150.
Wide choice of connections including 3G-SDI
There’s no need to worry about adapters as the Z150 provides a wide variety of built-in connectivity options including 3G-SDI, HDMI, Multi/Micro USB, professional audio XLR terminals, REMOTE and Composite (RCA). A supplied Sony cold shoe adaptor kit provides you with more flexibility for mounting accessories.
Simple live solution
The PXW-Z150 is designed to work seamlessly with Sony’s MCX-500 Multi Camera Live Producer, a robust and cost-effective switcher that makes it easy for one person to run a multi-camera live event shoot. When used with the MCX-500 and Remote Commander RM-30BP, a Tally indicator will automatically appear on each PXW-Z150’s LCD panel and viewfinder – a red icon indicates when the shot is live (PGM) while Green indicates preview mode (PVW). The MCX-500 supports up to nine video inputs, five channel stereo inputs including XLR with both internal recording and live streaming via Ustream™, Facebook Live, and Youtube Live*.
*Facebook Live and YouTube Live available with V2.0 firmware.
- Approx. 1895g (Body only)
- Approx. 4lb 3 oz (Body only)
- Approx. 2270 g (with lens hood, eyecup, NP-F770 battery)
- Approx. 5 lb (with lens hood, eyecup, NP-F770 battery)
Dimensions (W x H x D) *1
- 171.3 × 187.8 × 371.3 mm (With the accessories (lens hood, large eyecup), excluding the grip belt and including the projecting parts)
- 6 3/4 x 7 3/8 x 14 5/8 inches (With the accessories (lens hood, large eyecup), excluding the grip belt and including the projecting parts)
- DC In: 8.4V, Battery: 7.2 V
- Approx. 6.3 W (while recording with viewfinder and XAVC HD 1080/60i 50 Mbps)
- Approx. 6.6 W (while recording with LCD and XAVC HD 1080/60i 50 Mbps)
- 0°C to 40°C
- 32°F to 104°F
- -20°C to +60°C
- -4°F to +140°F
Battery Operating Time
- Approx. 260 min. with NP-F770 battery (while recording with LCD, XAVC 1080/60i, 50 Mbps)
- Approx. 400 min. with NP-F970 battery (while recording with LCD, XAVC 1080/60i, 50 Mbps)
Recording Format (Video)
- XAVC QFHD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile
- XAVC HD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:2 Long profile
- XAVC Proxy: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile
- MPEG HD422: MPEG-2 422P@HL 4:2:2 Long profile
- MPEG HD420: MPEG-2 MP@HL 4:2:0 Long profile
- MPEG HD Proxy: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile
- AVCHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 AVCHD 2.0 format compatible
Recording Format (Audio)
- XAVC QFHD : Linear PCM 2ch, 24bit, 48kHz
- XAVC HD : Linear PCM 2ch, 24bit, 48kHz
- XAVC Proxy : AAC-LC 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz
- MPEG HD422 : Linear PCM 2ch, 24bit, 48kHz
- MPEG HD420 : Linear PCM 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz
- MPEG HD Proxy : AAC-LC 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz
- AVCHD : Linear PCM 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz Dolby Digital 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz
Recording Frame Rate
- XAVC QFHD (3840 x 2160) @29.97p, 25p, 23.98p 100Mbps/60Mbps
- XAVC HD (1920 x 1080) @59.94p, 50p, 50 Mbps/35 Mbps
- XAVC HD (1920 x 1080) @59.94i, 50i, 50 Mbps/35 Mbps/25 Mbps
- XAVC HD (1920 x 1080) @29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 50 Mbps/35 Mbps
- XAVC HD (1280 x 720)@59.94p, 50p, 50Mbps
- XAVC Proxy (1280 x 720) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p 9Mbps
- XAVC Proxy (640 x 360) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 3Mbps
- MPEG HD422 (1920 x 1080) @59.94i, 50i, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 50 Mbps
- MPEG HD422 (1280 x 720) @59.94p, 50p, 50Mbps
- MPEG HD420 (1920 x 1080) @59.94i, 50i, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, HQ mode (35Mbps)
- MPEG HD420 (1440 x 1080) @59.94i, 50i, HQ mode (35Mbps)
Recording Frame Rate (contd)
- MPEG HD420 (1280 x 720) @59.94p, 50p, HQ mode (35Mbps)
- MPEG HD Proxy (1280 x 720) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 9Mbps
- MPEG HD Proxy (640 x 360) @59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 23.98p, 3Mbps
- AVCHD (1920 x 1080)@59.94p, 50p, PS mode (28 Mbps)
- AVCHD (1920 x 1080) @59.94i/50i/29.97p/25p/23.98p, FX mode (24 Mbps), FH mode(17 Mbps)
- AVCHD (1280 x 720)@59.94p, 50p, FX mode (24 Mbps) FH mode (17 Mbps) HQ mode (9 Mbps)
- XAVC-L QFHD 100 mode, Approx. 65 min with 64 GB memory card
- XAVC-L QFHD 60 mode, Approx. 100 min with 64 GB memory card
- XAVC-L HD 50 mode, Approx. 120 min with 64 GB memory card
- XAVC-L HD 35 mode, Approx. 170 min with 64 GB memory card
- XAVC-L HD 25 mode, Approx. 220 min with 64 GB memory card
- MPEG HD422 @LPCM 2ch 50 Mbps, Approx. 110 min with 64 GB memory card
- MPEG HD420 @LPCM 2ch HQ Mode, Approx. 170 min with 64 GB memory card
Recording/Playback Time (Contd)
- AVCHD@LPCM 2ch PS Mode, Approx. 290 min with 64 GB memory card
- AVCHD@LPCM 2ch FX Mode, Approx. 340 min with 64 GB memory card
- AVCHD@LPCM 2ch FH Mode, Approx. 450 min with 64 GB memory card
- AVCHD@LPCM 2ch HQ Mode, Approx. 750 min with 64 GB memory card
- 12x (optical), servo
- f = 9.3 - 111.6 mm equivalent to f = 29.0 - 348.0 mm on 35 mm lens (16:9)
- F2.8 - F4.5 auto/manual selectable
- AF/MF selectable, 10 mm to ∞ (Wide), 1000 mm to ∞ (Tele)
- ON/OFF selectable, shift lens
- M62 mm
Imaging Device (Type)
- 1.0-type (13.2 mm x 8.8 mm) back-illuminated Exmor RS CMOS sensor
Imaging Device (Pixel Count)
- Approx. 20 M pixels (total)
- Approx. 14.2 M pixels (Effective)
Effective Picture Elements
- 3840 (H) x 2160 (V)
Built-in Optical Filters
- ND filters
- OFF: CLEAR
- 1: 1/4ND
- 2: 1/16ND
- 3: 1/64ND
- 1.7 lux (Low Lux)
- [60i]: 1/8 - 1/10,000 (1/6 - 1/10,000 when shooting with 24p)
- [50i]: 1/6 -1/10,000
Slow & Quick Motion Function
- [60i]: XAVC HD: Frame rate selectable 18.104.22.168.15.30,60 fps
- [50i]: XAVC HD: Frame rate selectable 22.214.171.124.12.25,50 fps
- [60i]: MPEG HD: Frame rate selectable 126.96.36.199.15.30 fps
- [50i]: MPEG HD: Frame rate selectable 188.8.131.52.12.25 fps
- [60i]: AVCHD: Frame rate selectable 184.108.40.206.15.30,60 fps
- [50i]: AVCHD: Frame rate selectable 220.127.116.11.12.25,50 fps
Super Slow Motion Function
- [60i]: XAVC HD: Frame rate selectable 120 fps
- [50i]: XAVC HD: Frame rate selectable 100 fps
- Preset (Indoor: 3200K, Outdoor: 5600K±7 steps, Color temperature set range: 2300-15000K), Onepush A, B, Auto selectable
- -3, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12,15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33 dB, AGC
- XLR-type 3-pin (female) (x2), line/mic/mic +48 V selectable
- Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack (x1), RCA pin(x1), Composite 1.0Vp-p, 75 Ω
- Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack(x1), RCA pin(Monaural)(x1)
- BNC (x1), 3G/HD/SD SMPTE ST 424/ST 292-1/ST 259 standards
- Stereo mini jack (x1)
- DC jack
- Stereo mini-mini jack (Φ2.5 mm)
- HDMI connector (Type A)
- 1.0cm（0.39 type) OLED, Approx. 1.44M dots
- 8.8cm (3.5 type), Approx. 1.56M dots
- Omni-directional stereo electret condenser microphone
- IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- 2.4 GHz bandwidth
- NFC Forum Type 3 Tag compliant
- Lens hood (1)
- Large eyecup (1)
- Shoecap (1)
- Accessory shoe kit (accessory shoe (1), accessory shoe plate (1), screws (4))
- USB cable (1)
- AC Adaptor (AC-L100 C) (1)
- Power cord (mains lead) (1)
- Rechargeable battery pack (NP-F770) (1)
- Charger(BC-L1) (1)
- Wireless Remote Commander (RMT-845) (1)
- Lithium battery (CR2025 for the Wireless Remote Commander) (1), Pre-installed to the Wireless Remote Commander
- Operating Guide (2)
- CD-ROM "Manuals for Solid-State Memory Camcorderr" (1)
- Warranty (1)
- The values for dimensions are approximate